Four reasons why you still need an annual well woman exam
Even though you no longer need an annual Pap smear, you still need an annual well woman exam. This yearly appointment with our Grapevine and Fort Worth obgyns is the best way to prevent problems and stay healthy.
An annual well-woman exam provides fundamental preventive care
Here are four important reasons why your annual well woman exam is an essential appointment.
- It’s a vital opportunity for preventive care. Your annual well woman exam is about much more than a Pap smear and a pelvic examination. It’s about your overall health.
- Screening tests help evaluate your health. During your annual well woman exam, your physician may discuss the need for various types of screening, based on your age, health and risk factors. For example, starting at age 40, our physicians generally recommend a yearly mammogram. Our obgyns also recommend bone density screening for women age 65 and over.
Pap guidelines have changed and a Pap smear is no longer needed at every annual well woman exam. Here is a summary of the new requirements.
- If you are age 21 to 29, you need a Pap test every three years.
- If you are age 30 to 65, our physicians recommend a Pap smear and an HPV test every five years. You may also opt to have a Pap test every three years.
- At your annual well woman exam, our Grapevine and Fort Worth obgyns counsel you about several essential lifestyle and health issues. During your annual well-woman exam, our physicians discuss everything from birth control options and sexual health to depression and weight management.
- Your yearly appointment is the perfect time to ask questions. Whether you are planning to become pregnant and want to ask about preconception counseling, or you are wondering about changes caused by menopause, your annual well-woman exam is a great time to talk with your physician.
Our Grapevine and Fort Worth obgyns care about your health and well-being
At your annual well-woman exam, you and your physician work together to achieve your best health. Contact us for an appointment with our Grapevine and Fort Worth obgyns.Tweet