The truth about optimizing natural fertility
When you’re ready to get pregnant, you may talk to friends or look to the internet for tips on optimizing natural fertility. Unfortunately there are many myths out there and tips you don’t need to follow, including the ones below.
- You don’t have to lie flat on your back with your legs in the air after sex.
- Your sexual position during sex will not help you get pregnant.
- You don’t have to eat certain foods to improve your chances for conceiving.
Basically, one of the most important things to know about getting pregnant is to seek knowledge and ignore myths. Our Grapevine and Fort Worth ObGyns are here to tell you the truth about optimizing natural fertility.
Three important facts about optimizing natural fertility
- It’s important to know when you are ovulating.
For optimizing natural fertility, the very best time to have sexual intercourse is the six days prior to ovulation, known as the fertile window. Most experts recommend that couples have sex every one or two days during the fertile window in particular. Ovulation usually occurs 14 days before the next menstrual period during a regular cycle. Couples can purchase ovulation prediction kits to help them determine when ovulation occurs.
- Certain lubricants may negatively affect your fertility.
Many couples may not realize that certain lubricants that are frequently used during sex may adversely affect sperm’s motility or movement. Optimizing natural fertility means avoiding popular lubricants like Astroglide®, KY® and others. Instead, use natural lubricants like canola or mineral oil or Pre-Seed® brand when you are trying to get pregnant.
- Lifestyle choices matter.
One of the most important things couples can do when optimizing natural fertility is to make smart lifestyle choices. This includes adopting several good habits.
- Both partners should avoid smoking.
- Women should eliminate alcohol and reduce caffeine use; men should reduce alcohol and caffeine use.
- Neither partner should use recreational drugs.
- Women should begin taking a prenatal vitamin every day.
Optimizing natural fertility isn’t difficult once you understand the truth and ignore the myths. Our Grapevine and Fort Worth ObGyns are here to help you with preconception counseling appointments, the ideal opportunity for you to get helpful and honest advice. Contact us today for an appointment.Tweet